Friday, April 20, 2012

Update - April 2012

Isn't time a funny thing? I've been back from furlough for about four and a half months now, but in a lot of ways it seems like I just got back. It was interesting taking my first furlough. I was so incredibly blessed getting to finally see family and friends after three years! I was also pleasantly surprised to be able to be some places and see some people I hadn't realized I would. I'm also incredibly grateful that so many of you accomodated my last minute (some very last minute!) requests for housing or to make presentations! I did end up spending many more hours behind the wheel of the car than I thought I would, and that certainly was a shock to the system after not having driven for three years! But I am very thankful that those hours allowed me to see so many of you! I'm sorry I missed seeing some people. You think eleven weeks sounds like a long time until it's over, and you realize you could use more time!

But eleven weeks is definitely a long time to be away from your home and your work! I felt very "out of the loop" when I returned to Belgium. I also returned to a new appartment that still had a lot of boxes to unpack! Not an easy task when you've just completely exhausted yourself!! As a matter of fact, I'm still working on getting everything in its place. I was very blessed, though, to find that my good friend and teammate, Holly, had started the organizing process for me! Furniture was arranged and boxes were in their appropriate rooms. I had also allowed a group of students to stay at my place while I was gone, so I know that extra cleaning was done. Thank you so much, Holly!

Along with unpacking and settling back into the routine here, I've been busy with several others things since I've been back. Since I need to leave soon for my next activity, the European Singles Retreat (that I'm one of the organizers of), I'll give you a quick list of my activities for the last few months.

Reapplying for my residence permit - and I was granted another year!
Winter Retreat in Eindhoven, Netherlands at the end of December
Advanced Bible Study Series in Germany
Girls youth weekend (youth rally) in Eindhoven
European Ladies Retreat
Dienoday (one day VBS) in Antwerp (on my birthday!) :-)

Along with these activities, I've also signed up for twice weekly Dutch classes again (language skills get rusty when you don't use them for two and a half months!). I started up my weekly English lesson/Bible study with Herman again. Holly, Amanda and I have started a new weekly ladies Bible study. I've also been able to teach the kids' class at church several times, and I've been able to help two of our church members several times when they've been in need of childcare. I've also recently had the opportunity to go over to a classmate's house (from Dutch class), so she could help me catch up on some work. I went at 2:30 in the afternoon and left at 2:30 in the morning! Lots of good conversation!! Unfortunately, the catch up work was needed because I've battled with several illnesses this winter.

Some things to pray for:

My health - I'm healthy now and hope to stay that way!
Herman - English/Bible study contact
Upcoming retreats/activities (Singles Retreat, church soccer tournament in Switzerland, Ladies Day in Antwerp, Work camp, etc.)
Upcoming summer activites - Let's Start Talking campaign, Young Friends campaign, Remodeling work at Bible camp, Bible camp weeks

I'm so thankful for all of you and especially for your love, support and PRAYERS!! Thank you for being part of my life and this work!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue,
    Thanks for your informative and interesting blog. I especially appreciate learning about the camp there as I am getting involved again in MWBC. Please do another blog posting soon so we can all learn how you are doing and can share with you through prayer.
    God's blessings,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete